Sunday 15 January 2012

Blog Entry 1


When I started reading chapter two, I immediately dove right into it and was interested in the comparison between obtaining food between plants and animals. The analogy of an exterior of a leaf to the interior of the digestive tract being flipped inside out worked well for me.
The next section however, I found to be a bit mundane. What started out as a simple physics lesson dragged on and became somewhat monotonous. This could be due to my primary understanding of physics already, but I think it could be also the writing. Although I did not completely understand the principles of vertical and horizontal as well as tri polarity objects and how they come to be, close to 10 pages of description and diagrams I found to be a little overwhelming and excessive. This all lead to three conclusions, the last being (I thought) the strongest: “Plants have radial symmetry with one polarity and animals have bilateral symmetry with two polarities. These differences affect everything about them.”
            I continued to enjoy the comparisons between animals and plants that Halle used. This made the topic more relatable for myself as well as spiced up what would otherwise be routine textbook literature. The comparisons used when discussing hormones were helpful for me, as I understand the human body more than I do plants – currently.
            Page 99-100 I found tough to get through. I did not enjoy the poem(s) nor the idea of using it as a source of information or understanding.
            My favourite section of this whole reading would have been on movement and growth. I was fascinated by the movement of plants. I thought Halle did a good job of explaining it by discussing the speed of time in relation to the plants. Again though, Halle uses poetry in his explanation which I found did not suit my learning style.
            The section on individuals and colonies was pretty straight forward, though the part that caught my attention and got me thinking was the discussion and pictures of our toes (if they could be colonies). This both fascinated me and disgusted me at the same time.
            Chapter five was also pretty straight forward, though I struggled a bit with the heading “Soma and Germ.” I had to reread portions of it, though still am not completely content with what I know from it.
            Until next time,

Aleksander

No comments:

Post a Comment